The Birthday (Android) Player Experiences (SPOILER ALERT)

Discuss Adventure Modules for the Android version of IceBlink

The Birthday (Android) Player Experiences (SPOILER ALERT)

Postby slowdive » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Feel free to discuss your experience with playing The Birthday. What choices did you make and what did you think of the results.

Some screenies:
s1.png
s1.png (100.79 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

s2.png
s2.png (90.19 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

s3.png
s3.png (83.69 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Birthday (Android) Player Experiences (SPOILER ALERT

Postby joshua » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:45 am

After pounding my head against the Mother Goat wall with my fighter... I finaly succeeded with my Cleric only to be banished to Fairyland! Also where's the damn 'book'!?

Awesome game. I found the story/map tight and constraining but the dialog is superb. The seven fairies chatter from behind the door is worth the price of admission alone! (I forget if this was paid or not but what ever I paid was worth it.)

Only peeve I have (and it applies to almost all IB Android games I've played yet) is I want a broader selection of character icons covering the available races and genders. I'm quite vain that way.
joshua

Postby slowdive » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:04 am

Ah yes, the mother goat wall. I had some success with all classes except Archer is tough as a solo character. Fighter is the next toughest with no healing spells or AoE. Although, they do deal out a lot of melee damage with two attacks and cleave. I will be working on improving the combat system some with better creature AI, initiative for attack order, proper two-handed weapons, lots more spells, summons/animal companions, etc.

The book can be tricky, but it is towards the top of the map. And yes, I agree that Zach's writing is excellent and he won tons of awards for his NWN2 modules (The Birthday and Harp & Chrysanthemum).

I'll be adding more options for PC tokens as I create them. I'd like to have a few options for each race/class/gender option.

Oh yeah, only Lanterna was a paid option ($1), the others were free.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:59 am

Wonderful experience to play through this :) !

The atmosphere was very unique and had me hooked right from the start. Ambience felt very creepy all the time, especially the dialogue that seemed to be friendly on the surface, and culminated in a very fine ending. The writing was very, very inspiring as were many of the art works displayed. Also, there were two cool tunes playing, on overworld and in combat.

The adventure map might have been a little too confined and mayhaps had one or two too many battles with the fae that played out in a similar way (bound to change once more options make it into the android combat system). Played as a fighter and everthing worked out really well until... hehe, Mother Goat :twisted: . Had to do several reloads and improve my stash of potions as well as my battle tactics (character had first stats randomly rolled so he was not optimal at all). What was especially dangerous to me were the magic missiles, ouch. So, in the end I tried to take out Mother Goat first, placing myself in a corner close to her to avoid too many simultaneous opponents.

Was a hell of a ride, big congrats on this one to Zach and Jer :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby kamal » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:27 am

Bug: If the player dies before saving, they are returned to the start, but lose all their XP etc and are level 1, making the game functionally impossible to finish.

Another bug: If you use the poisoned meat to kill the bear, you do not get an indication that you get a bear heart to use. I did figure that I was supposed to get the bear heart as a substitute.
kamal
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 am

kamal wrote:Bug: If the player dies before saving, they are returned to the start, but lose all their XP etc and are level 1, making the game functionally impossible to finish.

Another bug: If you use the poisoned meat to kill the bear, you do not get an indication that you get a bear heart to use. I did figure that I was supposed to get the bear heart as a substitute.

1- When you die, the intention was to send you back to the title screen, but obviously this isn't working correctly. I fix that.
2- I'll try and add more information that you received the heart and that it may be useful somehow.
Thanks kamal for the bug list.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Module Discussion