Feedbacks on Lanterna (Android) *spoilers*

Discuss Adventure Modules for the Android version of IceBlink

Feedbacks on Lanterna (Android) *spoilers*

Postby vanedor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:34 am

I finished the Lanterna module on my android cellphone but I have the impression that's not what most of the people are talking about on the other Lanterna Player experience thread, isnt?

The module was fun to play.. I just thought the beginning was a bit confusing. It seems that I visited every houses before visiting the good one I was expected to visit. So I met some character who expected I knew some stuff like "I see you have heard of your sister abduction?"-Melia . uh, no, I didnt reach the right building yet. Or the love letter that tell you that you should keep it as evidence... hmmm It feels a bit weird. Especially when you have no idea what's going on yet. Perhaps it would be best to keep those doors «locked» until you meet the village leader.

The module offer a nice variety of opponent. I just feel some time that it feels a little rushed. How quickly Verto abandon the search(even if he is a traitor...), how quickly you get to the place where the girls disappeared, how quickly you meet some talking animals who tell you about where they went, how easy you escaped from the bandit hideout. Yeah, I know, it's only a small module but I felt the module didnt quite realize its full potential :-)
vanedor
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 am

Re: Feedbacks on Lanterna (Android) *spoilers*

Postby joshua » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 pm

My second Iceblink Android experience... I really enjoyed Lanterna I first played as a fighter, then replayed as wizard and cleric. In every case I found advancement came dizzyingly fast and, (except for the impossibility of soloing the rats and spiders as a level 1 wizard), I generally felt too big to fail every time. Quite a power trip compared to The Raventhal. I haven't tried to play through while rejecting the helpers so that will probably make it all more challenging.

I quite liked the final battles for the variety of opponents and rich opportunities for cleaves and AOE spells. That said, I feel their is room for a richer variety of choices and endings. The Bear God's appearance at the end made me wonder if there was a consequence to killing the cave bear I'd avoided earlier in the game. On a replay I was disappointed that killing it doesn't seem to affect anything. The option to keep quiet about Verto's treachery made me think it would be fun if the player had the option of double crossing everyone and joining the Zornites for the final battle, even if only to share the fate of banishment until the end of the world.
User avatar
joshua
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Feedbacks on Lanterna (Android) *spoilers*

Postby Dorateen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:14 pm

joshua wrote: The Bear God's appearance at the end made me wonder if there was a consequence to killing the cave bear I'd avoided earlier in the game.


I had a similar thought when playing through The Exile, the NWN2 module. Elos, being a revered creature, I figured there might be some kind of profound signifigance to encountering the mortal cave bear earlier in the adventure and killing it. Sort of like Aslan being sacrificed before coming back again. Whether it was intentional or not, I thought it was a nice touch.
User avatar
Dorateen
Backer
Backer
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Feedbacks on Lanterna (Android) *spoilers*

Postby slowdive » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:28 am

joshua wrote:...In every case I found advancement came dizzyingly fast and, (except for the impossibility of soloing the rats and spiders as a level 1 wizard), I generally felt too big to fail every time. Quite a power trip compared to The Raventhal. I haven't tried to play through while rejecting the helpers so that will probably make it all more challenging.


Yeah, I plan on adding some more areas and then adjusting the speed of leveling so that you end up around level 4 or 5 at the end. The original version for NWN1 and NWN2 only allowed you to pick up one of the two companions (depending on your alignment).

joshua wrote:I quite liked the final battles for the variety of opponents and rich opportunities for cleaves and AOE spells. That said, I feel their is room for a richer variety of choices and endings. The Bear God's appearance at the end made me wonder if there was a consequence to killing the cave bear I'd avoided earlier in the game. On a replay I was disappointed that killing it doesn't seem to affect anything.


Yeah, I'm not that good of a writer to tie those events together. The bear was just meant to be one of those kind of battles early on that you would have to decide if it was too difficult and come back later or go for it and risk certain death for the chance at a big reward (xp). Later, I plan on adding another area that ties into the bear event.

joshua wrote:The option to keep quiet about Verto's treachery made me think it would be fun if the player had the option of double crossing everyone and joining the Zornites for the final battle, even if only to share the fate of banishment until the end of the world.


The original NWN1 version of Lanterna - The Exile (just called The Exile in NWN1 and NWN2) had three endings based on alignment and your choices made. Unfortunately, it was a lot of work to build and test/debug those paths and very few people seemed to play the more "evil" options. When I made the NWN2 version, I only did the good option so when I made the conversion to IB from my NWN2 conversation files, the other two options were missing. I would still like to try and add those options back into the IB versions when I do the area additions.
User avatar
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2966
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 pm


Return to General Module Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron