Game Mechanics/Rules

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Game Mechanics/Rules

Postby slowdive » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm

In this update, we will be discussing the ruleset and mechanics being used in the IceBlink Engine. Bear in mind that this is still a work in progress and not finalized so any input or suggestions will be taken into consideration. The main focus of this project is to create a RPG platform that allows you to create your own stories in an easy and effective manner. The ruleset used needs to support story telling effectively and not overly complicate things so the ruleset will be more simple than complex.

Please feel free to leave any comments, feedback, suggestions, praise, or whatever here in this thread.

Here are the basics:

ABILITIES
All characters have four abilities that help define their character. You start with at least 10 points in each of the four abilities. You then you will be able to add points as part of the character creation screen to help customize your character. You also receive adjustments based on your characters race.

Abilities: Strength (STR), Dexterity (DEX), Intelligence (INT), Charisma (CHA)

CLASSES
Characters then choose a class which describes their type of "profession". Once you choose a class you cannot change it throughout the game (no dual class or multi-class).

Examples of classes could be: fighter, rogue, priest, mage, paladin, ranger, bard, druid, etc.)

The following properties are defined for each class:
    -list of skills available for this class
    -list of talents/spells and at what level available
    -hit points (hp) per level
    -spell/stamina points (sp) per level
    -skill points to spend per level
    -Tables: base attack bonus (BAB), fortitude(STR) save, reflex(DEX) save, will(INT) save

RACES
Next, characters choose a race which adds additional customization to your character.

Examples of races could be: human, dwarf, elf, halfling, gnome, etc.)

The following properties are defined for each race:
    -ability modifiers
    -spell points modifiers
    -stamina points modifiers
    -saving throw modifiers
    -skill modifiers
    -race specific talents/spells and at what level available

SKILLS (combat and non-combat)
At the beginning of the game and after each level up, you will receive skill points to spend on increasing different skills. Skills are class specific (you can only use skills available to your class).

Examples of possible skills: stealth, heal, disarm traps, open locks, taunt, turn undead, parry, dodge, lore, bluff, intimidate, diplomacy, search, etc.)

Your skill check roll is compared to the difficulty class (DC) of the task being performed or checked. If your roll exceeds the DC, then you pass the skill check. The check either succeeds or fails.

Skill Check Roll: 1d20 + skill ranks + ability modifier + racial modifier + talent modifier + item modifier (armor, weapon, etc.) + other modifiers

Difficulty Class: 0=very easy, 5=easy, 10=average, 15=tough, 20=challenging, 25=formable, 30=heroic, 40=nearly impossible

TALENTS/SPELLS (combat and non-combat)
At the beginning of the game and after each level up, you will be able to choose talents or spells depending on your class. Talents and spells can be a permanent feature that works all the time, a temporary event with duration, or an instantaneous event. Talents and spells use either stamina points (sp) or spell points (sp) except for permanent talents or which do not use any points.

Examples of talents could be: one-handed melee weapon bonuses, two-handed melee weapon bonuses, ranged weapon bonuses, cleave/sweep, cripple attack, precision attack, cripple shot, rapid shot, etc.

Examples of spells could be: magic bolt, flame arc, fireball, stun, summon creature, invisibility, teleport, heal wounds, entangle, web, etc.

Pre-requisites to learn a new talent/spell: ability level, class level, other talent/spell

COMBAT
In combat, each character and creature takes a turn to perform a task. When attacking, to determine a successful hit that deals out damage, you make an attack roll and compare it to the opponents Armor Class (AC). If the roll plus modifiers equals or exceeds the AC then you have successfully hit your target and then roll for damage.

Attack Roll:
Melee: 1d20 + BAB + STR mod + item1 bonus + item2 bonus + talent bonuses + other possible bonuses (spells, etc.)
Ranged: 1d20 + BAB + DEX mod + item1 bonus + item2 bonus + talent bonuses + range penalty + other possible bonuses (spells, etc.)

Armor Class (AC): 10 + natural armor bonus + armor bonus + shield bonus + item bonus + DEX mod + spell bonus + talent bonus

To determine the order of who goes first, an initiative roll is made at the beginning of combat. The turn order is based on the highest rolls go first. This order is maintained throughout the entire encounter.

Initiative roll: 1d20 + DEX mod

That’s it for now. Thanks again for your support and comments.
-The IceBlink Engine Team
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Game Mechanics/Rules

Postby tuluse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm going to make a very flippant and casual suggestion. Instead of making your own system which very much resembles DnD, why not just use Pathfinder? I believe it's open source, so you shouldn't run into any licensing issues. Then you get a tested system that people are very familiar with.
tuluse
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 am

Partly because we need a system that is simpler than Pathfinder or D&D for the time being. Also, because I want the system to be flexible and generic enough to work with multiple settings. I figure that developing our own system based on proven ideas would be the way to go for now. Someday, we may look into allowing different rulesets, but for now we need to keep it simple to avoid too much scope creep. The ruleset is not set in stone and is being influenced and shaped from discussions here on the forums.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Baron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:26 pm

With DMs and mod makers being prissy control freak know-it-alls, myself aside who has managed to temper genius with humility, is it possible to have the ruleset external? So that if I wanted to modify STRENGTH and call it BEEF, or change d20 into the square root of d100 divided by Pi + 42, that I could just open a file with a text editor and go crazy?

I'm extremely interested in this project as a simple RPG/Ultima 4 style toolset. It seems like a great deal of its appeal would be if it was absurdly simple and customizable. Would it be possible for Users to easily modify functions such as 'Melee Attack' or 'Ranged attack'? Or is it fixed once the engine is released?
Baron
Backer
Backer

Postby Baron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 pm

I was mostly asking as IceBlink has Str, Dex, Int, Cha... and I've already written a huge amount of dialogue for a game that uses Wisdom as well.
Baron
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 pm

At this point, the ruleset will not be customizeable. What you can customize is your own classes, skills, spells, feats/talents and races. At this time, the attributes will not be customizeable neither will the combat system or other aspects of the rules system. Eventually, I would like to open this up as well, but we have to start somewhere. Get it working first and then add more features in the future. If there is something in the existing system that needs to be changed (such as needing WIS or CON) let me know. Allowing customization (such as skills, classes, etc.) requires a ton of work to make sure that the program is robust enough to handle all the many ways people will try and use it. Development of the IceBlink Engine won't end with the first launch. I would like to see it continue to evolve as long as there is a community to support it.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lurking Grue » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:06 pm

slowdive wrote:If there is something in the existing system that needs to be changed (such as needing WIS or CON) let me know.

Well, I would like to have the six attributes of D&D/Pathfinder. I can live with the current four too, but I'd prefer to have STR, CON, DEX, INT, WIS, and CHA.
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:12 pm

No problem, I'll add the other two...hopefully in the first alpha...not that they do much at this stage in development :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lurking Grue » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm

slowdive wrote:No problem, I'll add the other two

Great! Many thanks! 8-)
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm

So, back at my home PC, more posting and adventure planning, hehe!

And yeah! to the classic six attributes from me, too. It's really more of a tradition thing I guess, but I got used to that classic attribute combo. It would have worked out with four, but those six give some flexibility to flesh out different characters and spread the usefullnes a little more.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Next

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions