Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 am

Alright, for the time being I will keep the optional roundly terminal save at the start of an recipient's turn. Anybody please give me heads up now or later if this shall be changed.

Work on labels is not the most interesting part, but it's worth it (especially when considering that I plan to do some scifi adventures later). Done with engine side of this, now changing a few things related for the toolset.

I also did a seocnd pass on the trait&spell level up/info screens as well as the trait/spell use/cast screens. I added colorful indicators for already learned/not available, better separating those, beforehand alreday (see above). Additionally, I have now reduced the shown traits/spells in the cast/use screens to those already learned by the acting pc actually, granting a quicker overview over the situational options. The info/level up screen though still shows the full range of spells/traits that is eventually available later for learning for the class of the player character (allowing to dream of future character development). A few glitches with SP/HP cost and layout have been fixed along the way, too.

What I would like to add to all of these screens, is
1) multiple screen support if needed (like portrait/token selection screens allow to to eg access screen Nr. 11/20), so that dozends of spells/traits per character are supported (and not just the twenty or so that fit on one screen) and
2) a better sorting of the traits/spells. In level up screen I think it would be best to start with available traits for learning, these again sorted by level they became availbale at. Then already known traits and finally not (yet) available traits? In info screen likely start with already known traits, then available and then not yet available. In the cast/use screens simply sort by level they became avilable at, starting with lowest? Must think of this, also see how difficult it gets.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am

youngneil1 wrote:... especially when considering that I plan to do some scifi adventures later...

Exactly what I have in mind to create. I was thinking of feature request - reloading weapons - but then I thought it will be too much to ask for :D
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:31 am

A reload would be cool to have for any firearms scenario. Ideally - for convenience's sake - it would be a reload button on highest level in combat ui, right next to inventory, party, etc. It would show all eglible ammo types for the weapon equipped in a drop down menu and the player would just click on the ammo type he wants to load in, discarding all ammo that might still be left in the current magazine (or mayhaps moving the current magazine back to inventory). This would end the turn. Weapons would need new properties, like ammo types allowed and magazine size at minimum (mayhaps load times later, like several rounds or instantly). Reloading in melee range of someone would trigger an attack of opportunity. The ammo slots would become inaccessible when visiting inventory in combat. A further question would arise when it comes to changing the firearm itself. This would move the current magazine back to inventory (or remember what's in the weapon, see below). Such weapon changing would consume a turn, too, then. When equipping a firearm, a dialogue would again offer the ammo types (or it would not and the ammo in weapon would be used - some kind of loaded state of a weapon, rembering the ammo type and bullet number in them last tiem tehy were equipped?; in case of no ammo in weapon another turn would be needed for loading). Generally ammo would come in magazine. These will not stack as teh counter displayed on them would bee needed for bullets in this maagzine (or at least I dont think this would work with current ammo system). The ui on combat map would display the remaining bullets in the current magazine on top level, maybe right on the relaod button.

I guess there is even more to consider.

I would like to get this in eventually, but it will indeed take quite some time and testing.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm

I really appreciate your work on labels (and your work on everything!) -- fine-tuning these elements will give us even more flexibility as designers! Have you considered allowing users to change the "Race" label/option too?
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 pm

That's a mighty fine idea - instead of "Race" we could have somehting like "Country" or "Faction" or "Home Planet". Should hopefully be rather simple, I look into it :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 pm

IB2 Beta_v36 - no liablities/no warranties, use at own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ejgk9mgb3snw ... 6.zip?dl=0

- made labels for trait(s), spell(s) as well as actions for using those work in more places, also fixed related bugs and redundancies (handled via properties of PlayerClass, Item and Creature, also default fallback on module level for spells and traits in case no current pc is selected)
- added "race" label on module level (see posts above this one)
Edit: - also did some more work on color coding and filtering traits and spells in level up/info and use/cast menus

As always - > prone to new bugs ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Excellent! Already having fun thinking of races as backgrounds instead. Thanks!
zach_holbrook

Postby Zeke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 pm

So many new updates!

I know what is the secret now. Will continue complaining about problems so that there is an unstoppable wave of new versions :D

Talking about bugs, it seems even if an item is not checked as allowed for a class, it can still be Used (haven't tested if it can be Equipped).
Last edited by Zeke on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zeke

Postby Zeke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Is it possible enemy spellcasters to have lists of spells to use? Or the only way is to have only one spell per creature use the onScoringHitCastSpellTag property ( however won't this make him spam the same spell every turn)?
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 pm

I know what is the secret now. Will continue complaining about problems so that there is an unstoppable wave of new versions :D

Hehe, so be it. As each new wave creates new bugs, we are in for eternal entertainment big time :lol: .

Talking about bugs, it seems even if an item is not checked as allowed for a class, it can still be Used (haven't tested if it can be Equipped).

Ah, good catch! Will look into it...

Is it possible enemy spellcasters to have lists of spells to use? Or the only way is to have only one spell per creature use the onScoringHitCastSpellTag property ( however won't this make him spam the same spell every turn)?

Ah, yes, the spells are a bit hidden right now, sorry. Look unter the IconSprite tab between Blueprints and TriggerEvents -> there you will find a list of spells. We should give it an own tab or do some renaming in the long run.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions