IceBlink Tilemap Maker

Discuss methods for creating maps for use with the IceBlink Toolset

IceBlink Tilemap Maker

Postby slowdive » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:56 am

I put together a simple tilemap maker for those who want to quickly create maps. Tiles are just 64x64 .png files that are placed in one of the following folders: terrain, walls, nature, or props. Once you create a tile (I used GIMP to make the ones included), just place it in one of those folders and it will automatically show up in the mapper upon starting the program. Use the arrow keys to rotate and flip tiles before placing them. There are 5 layers to work with and when you save the map, all five layers are saved as separate files plus a single jpg with combined layers. You can open the layers in GIMP for further editing if you want. Oh and hit the Escape key to stop placing or deselect a tile.

Another key feature is the "Snap To Grid" button. It allows you to place tiles based on the 64x64 grid or place tiles/props based on pixel location. Here is a screenie:

TilemapMaker.jpg
TilemapMaker.jpg (210.2 KiB) Viewed 24140 times

Here is the download for the editor:

IceBlink Tilemapper v1.rar
(825.56 KiB) Downloaded 1825 times

Here is the source code for those who would like to have a look and maybe help expand its capabilities:

source.rar
(980.18 KiB) Downloaded 1769 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IceBlink Tilemap Maker

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 am

Great stuff - looks clear and well layed out. Nice tree there btw, very atmospheric.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 am

Nice tool, see myself having lots of fun with it.

Short ideas/feedback:
- had a crash "on fill map with tile" while using a 32x32map with an ocean/water tile
- Delete painted tile would be nice (or some kind of eraser e.g. for a whole grid square or even free hand), but just drawing over existing stuff will likely also do
- "Show grid" option would be quite essential though, especially for judging where exactly to place those "place by pixel" tiles
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Great suggestions, I'll add those to the list. I also got the fill crash...seems to take a long time to process. On 16x16 it took a long time, but eventually filled the map of you wait...I'll look into this.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Now we just need to build a nice resource database of tiles and props for builders to use :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:55 am

Hehe, will see what props/tiles I come up with for the Grahir campaign. Perhaps the one or other will be polished enough to be somewhat usable for such a database. Most stuff though I guess will be rather improvised :lol:

Another feature for the IB Tilemap Maker might be shrinking and enlarging (both: proportional (same amount for x and y) and disproportional, i.e. making props thinner, shorter, broader, etc.). Should allow some nice and easy variation, like e.g. making a forest appear much more diversified with a few simple operations. Furthermore it might be cool to have the option of turning in smaller increments than 90 degree, e.g. while keep shift key held or something.

These operations combined would allow to make potentially many different props from a base prop on the fly.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Lurking Grue » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 pm

I've been on a summer vacation (still am, btw), so I'm quite a lot behind on the news front of IB, and this became as a total surprise to me. A pleasant one, for sure! This IB Tilemap Maker is an excellent idea and I think I will be using it to construct my maps. Considering this from a development POV, I'd think tiled maps are a lot faster to make than those that are just "one big shebang" images - once you have the tiles done, that is. From an artistic POV, the big image maps have the potential to be much more natural, seamlessly flowing maps, and also a lot prettier; however, tiled maps do have their charm too, at least for us old geezers who remember old Ultimas and such with great fondness.

Also, once we get a library of tiles (and sprites/tokens) going, it'll be a big help for anyone hoping to make a module but lacking the means or the skills to do the graphics.

All in all, a great tool! Thanks, Jer!
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:20 am

I made some updates to the IceBlink Tilemap Maker:
-(toggle erase button) can erase square(s) of currently selected layer (hit escape to exit erasing)
-(toggle grid button) turn grid on/off (make sure to turn off before saving file)
-tiles can be any size
-fixed slow "fill map with selected tile" issue on larger maps

IceBlink Tilemapper v3.rar
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 1824 times

TilemapMaker2.jpg
TilemapMaker2.jpg (137.87 KiB) Viewed 24097 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 am

Looks cool - will give it a thorough testing later on :-). It slowly, but certainly gets time form to chose/find a method for doing maps for the "real thing" campaign :lol:
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:16 pm

I just started to create an area using the tilemap maker. When I saved it, I chose 100% jpeg compression. The file was about 1 mb

Would you suggest a lower compression to create a smaller sized file? This is a 16 x 16 area. The ones I have made before this are about 200 ~ 300 kb.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Next

Return to Map Creation